Unintentional Pack Rat
On July 13th I will settle on my first home. It's quite a good thing that I'm not superstitious in the least, because after looking over the calendar last weekend I realized that this particular 13th is a Friday. I'll just have to make a point to walk under a ladder and cross paths with a black cat on that day as well.
With the move just weeks away I started sorting through things today so I can rid my house of the junk that I neither want nor use nor have even laid eyes on in the last six years. See, I'm not a pack rat intentionally. But I'm not very organized and my life as a single mom has made it increasingly difficult to get to a state of organization and order. So when my desk piles high and dad's coming to stay for a week over Christmas, instead of weeding through the piles and piles of papers on my desk, I put them in a box or a bag and they are banished to the basement. Why not just throw them away you ask? Because somewhere in the piles I'm certain that there is at least one document, card, school paper, or piece of kiddie art that I must relish for all eternity. So I keep it all until I have time to go through it. Of course...it's never gone through. And so the piles and piles of crap and needless junk grow.
Every time I clean off the desk or the counter I promise myself the clutter and chaos won't happen again. But it does. And I'm pretty certain it's because I don't have a system. So if you have a good system - one that works to keep the clutter of paper at bay - please let me know!
So today, instead of tackling papers I tackled bedroom closets and dressers. It's remarkable all the clothing that just sits around not being worn. I ended up with one bag of clothes for my friend's son and seven bags of clothes and other accessories that will be donated. I'm grateful to have plenty and grateful to be able to give. I'm also grateful that when it's time to actually pack my home up for the move I'll have a lot less stuff to shuffle around.

10 comments:
lol... I do that too.... not always, but enough! I've been going through all my craft boxes in my "now" bedroom. I'm finally down to the last box plus one box of papers that came off my counter. I have one more bedroom to go through... plus the stuff outside stored on the shelves......
S'crazy!
Good luck!
I'm a professional organizer and have written several mini-books on organizing for artistic and creative free-spirits. Each colorful book addresses only one topic of organizing one's space or time so as not to overwhelm you and give you the feeling of accomplishment. They are available in CDs or downloadable ebooks. And each one contains a system for organizing and maintaining it!
www.1-2-3GetOrganized.Com
We have all been where you are now, seems an endless task at times. Fortunately a move into another home is motivation.
Advise: Simplify...
Three piles
One to keep, one to donate, one to question. If you haven't used the product in over a year, truely you do not "need this item." As far as mail goes, if you are able to open it near a waste basket, sometimes I don't even bring most of it into the house...toss the junk, create a folder for those creative want to save items to be framed later or placed in a scrap book. Don't try to do everything at once.
Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley-The FlyLady has great ideas, you can goggle her web site. Have fun with what you are doing by staying focused on the positive move. Repeat after me, "I will be fine!"
Oh. My. God. That second paragraph? I could have written it. This "Because somewhere in the piles I'm certain that there is at least one document, card, school paper, or piece of kiddie art that I must relish for all eternity." is what I try to tell my husband when he sees my boxes of piles.
Unfortunately, since I am in the same boat as you, I have to suggestions as to a system. But if you find a good one that works for you, let me know!!
Good luck with the packing & organizing. I don't envy you that stuff. But it is a good way to thin things out.
I know! We moved last month and still have tons of stuff to go through and sort through, even after taking truckloads to Goodwill AND having a garage sale. Argh! You will do it though. It's so exciting. Definitely worth the work.
As for organizing...ha! I am so ADD that it's a wonder I get anything done, let alone organized!
xo
Still sifting and sorting? Best wishes :)
;-) I would love to help you ... I love doing it. Iam the opposite and it is not funny either. If I have 4 monthly acoonts in my file I get nervouse and have to put them away in some folders. Well now you know, why I am a surgery nurse! Have fun B and enjoy the time getting free from rabbish and start something NEW! It `s always a gift!
hi guys. you are all such the sweetest, and i loved reading everything you said, your suggestions and commiseries.
this is going to be one mass comment reply...oi am i whooped!
I'm convinced that chaos is a form of organization. That said, I do like things to be tidy. Especially my work space.
Hope everything is well and going to plan!
sebastien - hey, we seem to be on here at the same time...well, across time zones that is. yeah, i think chaos is a form of organization if you're comfortable with it. for the most part i am, until i lose things, or forget to do things. that really bites then and i wish i were more organized!
Post a Comment